OUR HOMES PRE MEXICO: 1974-1998
Robin Lawrason and Jim Lloyd
Updated: September 6, 2006
In 1980 we had our portraits painted by a 21 year old student at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Doug Ferrin. Unfortunately,
we lost touch with Doug over the years, but recently were pleased to see how successful he has become as an artist.
In 1974 we moved to Center City Philadelpia to take new positions and lived at a home provided as part of Jim's job as Curate at St. Clement's
Episcopal Church (watercolor by Bill Campbell.) Woodstock Street was a small street just off Logan Circle and only half a block from St. Clement's.
In 1977 Jim took a position at St. Luke and the Epiphany on 13th Street and we moved to Quince Street, sketched by Philadelphia artist Bill Campbell.
We lived in the row house with the blue door, second from the right in Campbell's watercolor.
Jim's next position in 1980 took us across the river to New Jersey in the historic town of Burlington, 15 miles northeast up the Delaware River. Here we refinished the
old Rectory and yards at St. Barnabas Church on Broad Street. And each Christmas we donned our tuxes and headed back to Center City for
dinner at John and Stuart's, a Philadelphia tradition. We spent 14 happy years there at St. Barnabas, but just five in the Rectory.
After five years in the Rectory at St. Barnabas, we decided it was time to invest in our own home. In 1985 we purchased an old home in historic Fallsington in
Bucks County Pennsylvania, and then we both commuted to work, Robin to Philadelpia and Jim to Burlington. The Fallsington house was just across the road from the Moon Williamson House, the oldest house in
the state on the same foundation, built in 1655. Down the street were three different Quaker Meeting Houses built over the years.
It was to this village that William Penn in the seventeenth century came to Meeting House from his estate, Pennsbury Manor, on the Delaware.
We named the 1824 federal style home "Bunbury House" after a character in "The Importance of Being Earnest" and even tried operating it as a Bed and Breakfast one fall.
With its original federal style architecture, and country garden, this was our favorite home over the years.
Then in 1989, we decided we wanted a change to a brand new house in a new development. We purchased a four bedroom four bath home in
a booming development in Langhorne, between Yardley and Newtown, just a little north of Fallsington. The home was a delight, but the yard work and the commute were near
In 1994, after too much work in the garden, Robin suffered a heart attack. After his open heart surgery, he decided that it would be better to avoid the 32 mile
commute into Philadelphia each day. We sold the house to friends, Sam and Bob, and purchased a new home, only two blocks from our
old 1977 home on Quince, but this time on Lombard Street. The four levels began with the living room leading to a back garden on the below grade level, up to
the kitchen and dining area on the entry level, two bedrooms on the third and a "family room" and third bedroom on the top level with a great
view of downtown Philadelphia's City Hall tower and high rises. After four happy years in town, in 1998 we both retired and headed for Mexico.
Jim and Robin's Home Page